INFORMATION ABOUT UNIVERSITI PENDIDIKAN SULTAN IDRIS (UPSI)

 

 

Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris (UPSI) is a public higher education institution which

has evolved in stages from a college to a University. The development process of the

university ranges through four stages, which are the SITC (29 November 1922 – 1957),

the MPSI (1957 – 1987), the IPSI (21 February, 1987 – April 1997) and subsequently

the university eras from May 1, 1997. Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris (UPSI) was

established through the P.U. (A) 132 & 133 Gazette dated 24 February 1997, under

two orders, namely Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris (incorporation) Order 1997 and

Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris (campus) 1997. The establishment of the University is to cater

to the increase need in knowledgeable and resilient human resources who possess noble

personality in the areas of science, technology, management as well as language literature,

arts and culture with a specific approach to the mastery of educational knowledge, theory and practice.

In carrying out the P.U (A) 132 & 133 Government Gazette dated 24 February 1997,

from May 1997, Universiti Pendidikan Sultan Idris, known with the acronym UPSI,

was formally incorporated and established.

 

 

Sultan Abdul Jalil Shah Campus (The First Campus)

 

The Infrastructure development of the campus began with the construction of the Chancellery building in 1999 and student residential complex in Behrang Ulu, comprising Aminuddin Baki College and Za'ba College. In early 2001, a gymnasium, library, auditorium, music education complex and lecture halls were developed while the heritage from the eras of SITC, MPSI, IPSI were conserved. In 2010, the E-Learning building was constructed to complement the needs of the university by providing large lecture rooms, computer labs, tutorial rooms, office spaces, a convention hall and facilities for distance learning. As the campus was no longer able to accommodate the needs of students as time went on, a new campus was then developed to solve this problem. The ground breaking ceremony for the new campus was graced by his royal highness the late DYMM Paduka Seri Sultan Perak Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah on 22 April 2002. In his opening address, his royal highness announced the name of the main campus of the university as Sultan Abdul Jalil Shah campus located in Tanjung Malim while the new campus which was based in Proton City was named Sultan Azlan Shah Campus.

 

  

Sultan Azlan Shah Campus (The Second Campus)

 

The planning for Sultan Azlan Shah Campus began during the 8th Malaysia Plan. With the availability of the new campus, the infrastructure for teaching and learning in the University has been enhanced to a significant level in line with the requirements of the Government in empowering and improving the quality of education of higher learning institutions. On 20  February 2012, the Sultan Azlan Shah Campus officially began its operation with the relocation of several faculties such as the Faculty of Science & Mathematics to blocks 1-5, the Faculty of Sport Science and Coaching to block 6, the Faculty of Education and Human Development to blocks 7-9, the Faculty of Management and Economics to block 10. The new campus is equipped with a Guard House, a centralized Lecture Hall, Main Hall and Experimental Theatre, Cafeteria, a Student Centre, the Centre for Information and Communication Technology (ICT), and an Islamic Centre. The new site based in Proton City will definitely provide an impact on the development of the surrounding areas, especially to the town of Proton City. The campus which is close to the Commercial Center of Proton and Proton’s manufacturing plant is surrounded by lush greenery with the breathtaking view of the Titiwangsa Range as its backdrop. This serene natural beauty provides a perfect environment as an added value in the student learning process. The new campus was officially opened in a step-in-tradition ceremony by the late DYMM Paduka Seri Sultan Perak Sultan Azlan Muhibbuddin Shah on June 16, 2012.

 

 

 

The student residential colleges have been restructured and moved to the new campus. Ungku Omar Residential College (KUO) which began operation at Taman Bahtera on 21 November 2004 ceased its operation on 01 October 2012 and was transferred to Proton City. The college started operating fully in the new campus at Proton City on 02 September 2012. In 2013, the Harun Aminurrashid Residential College (KHAR) started operating in Proton City after being relocated from its original site in Taman Bahtera. Both KUO and KHAR now provide 9 residential blocks on five-storey apartment concept which can accommodate up to 2,592 students at a time.